Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Youth Ambassadors 2011


October 26th, 2010 - A very special day.

Today the American Embassy announced the names of the 35 students from public schools who will have the chance to travel to the United States in January. A fantastic program the Embassy has which offers these students the chance to open their horizons and see there is so much for them to discover. A very tough selection this year. There were more than 6,000 candidates and I strongly believe that each and every one had something special to share.
I am particularly happy because we have managed to have a candidate selected, Natanael, who is a very special young man. We are sure he will be really successful in the future given his tenacity. I was also selected to travel with them as a coordinator with the organizers of the program. I am sure this is going to be a milestone in our lives. There will be a lot of things to be done before the trip. We'll be leaving Brazil on Janurary 7th and return on January 28th.
I am really glad for the opportunity. It's true we have all worked really hard to make sure everything would be all right - online work (this year), written tests, interviews, visits to the candidates' homes - but it was worth it.
It is really a pleasure to know we have the chance to make a difference in people's lives and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, these "kids" will learn a lot and they will also have a lot to share with the American people they will be in contact for three weeks in January.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi GilMattos, congratulations on behalf of your student. I hope you have a great trip. And I really liked reading your profile, about the music. Do you play any musical instrument?
David
(Virgo)

GilMattos said...

Hello David...
Thank you for the comments and the best wishes for our trip. I'm really fascinated about music which I usually quote my favorite singer, Barbra Streisand "Music is the connective tissue among souls". I could never think of a better way to define it.
Unfortunately I do not play any instrument but I'd love to play the piano - maybe I get brave enough and start learning it. I just need more time! (lol).
Be very welcome to my online space.
Best,
Gilmar

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Get Your Birthstones at Wishafriend.com

I write like...

I write like
Kurt Vonnegut

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!